Tuesday, August 25, 2009

HowTo: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG on Debian

I've recently dabbled with Debian Lenny on my Dell D620 and found myself needing to access my wireless network.

These are the required steps to activate the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG device on Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny:
  1. $ su
  2. # aptitude install firmware-iwlwifi
  3. # modprobe -r iwl3945 && modprobe iwl3945
  4. point to the Network Manager icon on Gnome's top panel and enter the details of your wireless network
Do notice that firmware-iwlwifi is a non-free firmware so you need to enable the non-free repositories. To do so point to System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Debian Software and enable the non-free and contrib repositories.

I found the whole process of enabling and using 3945ABG on Debian very simple and straightforward which was a welcome change from the days of the old ipw driver ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! It solved my problem!

by ¢leiton said...

Thank you! It solved my problem!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much.
Debian 7.0 works on "Toshiba dynabook
SS RX1/W7A"